Colourpop x Hello Kitty Collection

"Hello Pretty!" Hope you all are doing well! :)

In this post, I hereby announce the main reason for me placing a Colourpop order in the first place is....

Original image via @melon_yu

Now you know :)

Welcome back everyone for another detailed post from my Colourpop haul (click HERE - a link of the post that showed an overview). As you can see, today's post is dedicated for HELLO KITTY.

I love Hello Kitty. Actually no, love is an understatement. It's more of I'm OBSESSED with Hello Kitty ever since I was young. The collection launched on November 1st, 2016 and I ordered the next day. There are lots of sparkles, glitters, pinks, reds and the names of the products are simply young and cute.

What I got in the Colourpop x Hello Kitty Collection:
  • Mama's Apple Pie - rainbow (sheer white with silver and pink glitters), small gift (peachy pink in a pearl finish), school bus (deep navy blue in a pearl finish), friendship file (peach beige with pink and silver glitters in metallic finish)
  • Ultra satin lip - Tiny Chum (baby nude pink in satin finish)
  • Lippie stix - Date Mate (cool-toned fuchsia in a matte finish: a really on trend fuchsia and is going to be huge in the next upcoming months) and Konichiwa (pink with blue undertone in a creme finish)
Seriously, it was so hard to choose and initially, I was so tempted to get the "Hello Pretty" kit but decided not to and got the "Mama's apple pie" instead. But I am quite happy with what I got.

Let's go through each of them! But first, grab your popcorns people as this is a lengthy post :)

Mama's Apple Pie

This is a limited edition set that includes four Colourpop Super Shock Shadow in Rainbow, Friendship File, Small Gift, and School Bus.

In this set, the shades don't really match up well together like the set itself doesn’t quite have any rhythm to it but I wanted it because it appears to be what the promo model is wearing on her eyes. She seems to have School Bus all over her lid and Friendship File in her crease. I have yet to rereate her look but I will update here when I've done so.

Here are the swatches: with natural lighting and with flash.




Colourpop x Hello Kitty Mama’s Apple Pie Swatches (from left to right: School Bus, Small Gift, Friendship File, Rainbow)
Top: Natural Lighting
Bottom: With Flash
Thoughts after trying out:
Rainbow and School Bus work well together but I didn’t feel like Small Gift and Friendship File quite worked well in the same look or even together with School Bus and Rainbow. They do look brilliant on their own though.


Rainbow is probably the least pigmented shade as this only gives a very sheer glittery wash on lids. The other shades were all amazingly pigmented as well with Small Gift being particularly unique as it almost had a duo-chrome effect when swatched.
If you never used Colourpop’s Super Shock Eyeshadows before, let me give you an idea of what they're like. They have a cream-to-powder texture that’s quite silky and smooth with a light creamy texture that blends fairly easily on lids. Though I must say, the eyeshadow formula is squishy like clay, for me, it feels weird haha.
I always recommend primer (when applying eyeshadows) as they aren't as pigmented on my lids without and they too tend to fade on me in a couple of hours but with primer I get all day, crease-free wear.
As they all say, I agree too, it's best to apply Colourpop's super shock eyeshadows with a finger or a sponge tipped eyeshadow applicator - they work best, compared to using regular eyeshadow brushes, because they don't always pick up colour well.

Overall, the Colourpop x Hello Kitty Mama’s Apple Pie Set is a fun little set of shades that might not make you automatically think of Hello Kitty when using them. But I had a really fun time creating pretty eye looks. I was happy I indulged!

All in all, the Colourpop Hello Kitty collection comes with three Ultra Glossy Lips, three Lippie Stix, two Ultra Satin Lips, and one Ultra Metallic Lip. These are all individually sold and are not part of any kits.


I purchased three individual lip products from the collection.
Here are the lip products I purchased:

  • Tiny Chum (ultra satin lip): satin finish baby nude pink


Tiny Chum looks gorgeous swatched but it looked a bit too cool-toned against my skin (ps. I am warm-toned), but I still like it! It looks like I have nothing on my lips, but it just adds a bit of depth and I suppose, “life” to it. Just wish it was a bit warmer toned. The formula is a bit drying on my sensitive lips, but I just topped it off with a bit of gloss when it starts feeling tight and dry. 





  • Konichiwa (lippie stix): crème finish mid-tone cool blue pink; and 
  • Date Mate (lippie stix): cool-toned fuchsia in a matte finish


Konichiwa is so adorable! I’ve been loving the colour, but the issue I have with it is that it tugs on the lips a bit during application. Hence, I always make sure I exfoliate my lips, then moisturise and prime before applying this lippie stix. I love the formula as it smells quite minty and has a moisturising and hydrating touch to it.
It had semi-opaque pigmentation with a moderately emollient texture that was lightly tacky. The lipstick felt firmer in the tube, but it warmed up and melted against the warmth of my lips, which made it more easier to apply. 

Date Mate is a bright cool toned hot pink. Since it's a matte X formula, this means a single swipe of the lippy gives you a full coverage. And that, I truly second it. It gives you a pop of vibrancy you need in your makeup. I was also quite surprised that it applied as evenly as it did, as I heard stiffer formulations usually end up looking streaky, thick, and uneven. The formula was clingy, which made it feel drier on, though it did not start to feel drying until few hours later.

And.. that's it!
If you have read till here, kudos to you! Give yourself a HUGE pat on the back.
Did you like it? Enjoy reading this detailed review?
I'd love to read your comments!

Have a fabulous weekend and I shall see you all on Monday :)

Love,
Melon xoxo
*this is blogged according to my own personal opinions and was purchased by myself*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Takami Skin Peel Review

"Less perfection, more authenticity."

Tokyo Banana Original Review