Hourglass Surreal Light Ambient Lighting Edit Palette Review

Is it really worth the money?

How do I use it?

I had questions rolling from you all and friends asking about the Limited Edition Hourglass Surreal Light Ambient Lighting Edit Palette like whether it's worth the money or not and how to use it.







Well, read no further! Because I am going to answer all your questions in this post, hope you enjoy :)

First impression:
I mentioned above in italics that this product is limited edition. It was released in store and online (Mecca) on the 25th October. And I got this lil beau on the next day, 26th, spontaneously should I say. The day before, I was literally on the edge between that sweet temptation to get it (like the marble case, who can resist to that?!) and just couldn't justify the price to be honest, like what fresh hell is this haha.


I ended up getting it at the end because looking from another perspective, disregarding the price, this palette includes a finishing powder, bronzer, 2 blushes and a strobing powder/highlighter inspired by Surreal Light, which is a new shade (in other words, never-before-released shades) in the Ambient Lighting Powder family, meaning it's currently only available in this palette.

This is perfectly packaged in a marble case, complete with stunning, simple gold lettering. The marble case makes it perhaps even too much to cope with!! It’s stunning!! I am so in love. So so in love.

This palette contains:
-  4 g in Ambient Lighting Powder in Surreal Light (sheer nude warm shimmer): I thought this would be too shimmery to use as an all over setting powder but it actually works well without making me look like a statue, it has a yellow undertone.
- 1.4 g in Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Surreal Bronze Light (neutral tan with Surreal Light)
- 2 x 1.4 g Ambient Lighting Blush in Surreal Glow (pale peony pink with Surreal Light: it's a nude pink on my skin and it shows up) and Surreal Effect (cool, pink rose with soft, warm peach)
- 1.4 g in Ambient Strobe Lighting Powder in Surreal Strobe Light (glimmering peach)

Swatches:
I did swatches with and without flash.

Thoughts -
The powders perform really well and I like that it has enough colour to show up (in natural lighting) even though the overall feel is neutral. Sometimes those neutral palettes can be a bit too neutral but this one has visible colour.

I found that all the powders are finely milled with a soft touch. There will be some powdery kick up if you dip your brush in the palette but there isn't any fallout once it's on your face.















How to use it?
This surreal light palette states that all powders work seamlessly well together to brighten the entire face complexion. The following steps are how I have been using it:

- After foundation, I apply Ambient Lighting Powder in Surreal Light (1) all over the face
- I then bronze and contour on the hollows of the cheeks, along the temples and jawline with Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Surreal Bronze Light (4)
- For natural/everyday makeup: I tend to opt for a more natural blush - I apply Surreal Glow (2) to the apples of the cheeks for a delicate flush of colour
- For bolder/night makeup: I layer (after the surreal glow) with Surreal Effect (3) to the apples of the cheeks for a brighter pop of colour
- Lastly, highlight - apply Strobe Light (5) to the high points of the face - the tops of cheeks, the bridge of the nose, brow bone and cupid's bow. I've used this shade wet too (by spraying with MAC Fix Plus, water is fine too) for a more intense highlight.

One quick note on the usage of the type of brush. There is an Ambient Lighting Edit Brush ($67) which is a double-sided brush designed and sized for this palette. In my experience, Hourglass brushes are very well made and perform well. They're synthetic. I did not buy it but have been using my DB Angled Contour brush for the bronzer, 3CE Blush brush/Real Techniques Expert Face Brush for the blushes, Real Techniques Setting Brush for the highlighter and DB Powder/Blush brush for the finishing powder. (see picture on the left)


*I found that it is a distinctively warm-toned palette, so it will likely not work for everyone. (I myself is a warm toned)*



Is it worth the money?
Well this palette is retailed at $116 at Mecca. In light of that, most people are completely obsessed with it, like me. Yes, the price tag is steep but you do get 5 extremely high quality powders which consist of a finishing face powder, a bronzer, 2 blushes and 1 highlighter all conveniently kept together (great for travelling!) and is also everything you need to achieve a flawless and glowing complexion. The blushes and bronzer are holy grails because they are subtle yet powerful. They provide a very natural, glowing sheen to the cheeks (they do have a bit of sparkle) which is what I love! They certainly give you a hint of colour when you are feeling dull and colour-less. And also you can use these powders for your eyes!

So, is it worth the money? YES IT IS! I have been using this palette almost everyday and it has really changed my make up game. It has definitely become one of my all time favourite items in my collection. Hourglass is such an amazing brand and in the future I intend to purchase more of their products.

Overall:
In my opinion, I think this palette will work best for someone who is less concerned about a “value-packed” palette OR is unlikely to finish their full-sized products and really needs everything in a single compact.

The shades have good pigmentation and acquire enough colour to show up on medium to tan skin. I'd consider myself to be medium bordering on light-medium now and the colors show up very well on me.

To sum it all up, I highly recommend this palette and you should definitely purchase it if you are able to! These powders offer a multi-dimensional glow that blurs imperfections, corrects redness, and smooth over the skin like nothing else I’ve come across. In short, they’re flawless.

Bottom line, very spendy but worth the splurge for me. It exceeded my expectations. I knew I would like it but didn't know if I could "love" it at the $116 price. After testing and using it, I can say that I do love it. It will be a great one for travel and it's a palette I can see myself using every single shade.

Moreover, I love all things glowy and this is one of the most natural highlighter palettes I've tested.

If you have tested this palette and have any thoughts, let me know in the comments.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope this post has helped you decide whether or not this product is worth the money and also how to use it for those of you who don’t know how to!

Love,
Melon xoxo
(instagram.com/melon_yu)

*this is blogged according to my own personal opinions and was purchased by myself*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Takami Skin Peel Review

"Less perfection, more authenticity."

Tokyo Banana Original Review